Google Analytics

Auto Ads

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Warhansa - Toy Soldiers

Warhansa is a toy soldier firm based out of Russia that sells resin figures in 28mm and 54mm. Somewhere I read that they are more like a consortium of sculptors that bring their figures to market through this firm. That could explain the eclectic mix of periods and sculpting styles in their range of figures. They go all the way from fantasy/sci-fi to historical sets, and their periods cover ancients, knights, western/indians, all the way to WWII. Unfortunately their selection of WWII figures is very limited. They have only released Soviet Infantry and German Paras, of which I only have the latter. Let's check them out. 

Warhansa German Paratroops
Warhansa German Paratroops
This set is OK, but in the context of Plastic Platoon's recent German Paratroopers releases, it has a high bar to match. The poses are a bit static, the figures feel slightly chubby, maybe because the oversized weapons required bigger and thicker hands. And the material is a bit too shiny for my taste, although that's something that will be taken care of once they are painted. Anyhow, I am glad that Warhansa has added some more figures to the range. And on a positive note, I do like the expression of the officer quite a bit.

Warhansa Soviet Infantry - Defenders of Brest
Warhansa Soviet Infantry - Defenders of Brest
These figures are only OK in my opinion. I feel that the body language lacks the sense of urgency and action that you might expect from men who are fighting with their last resources, against the odds, as the weapons and the wound suggest, and as the story of the Brest Defenders goes. The main thing to like about these figures is the material. It is a very solid plastic. Firm, but not hard. The one touch I did like quite a bit is the hair style of the wounded man. Well done. 

Warhansa Soviet Infantry - Nameless Height
Warhansa Soviet Infantry - Nameless Height
This set is named after a Russian WWII movie. I have not watched it so I don't know if the figures depict any specific events from the movie. And speaking of movies, the man with the rifle above his head reminds me very much of Ron Perlman in Enemy at the Gates. I wonder if that was intentional. Maybe not the resemblance with Ron Perlman, but to depict the same features that made Ron a good cast for that role. Other than that peculiarity, this set, like the one above, is OK, but not great, and at $30 for 4 figures, it's only a set I purchased to fill a hole in my collection. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment